Tuesday 31 March 2009

Andrew Paul Brooks - Hidden Manchester

Andrew Paul Brooks is a Photography who has recently had an exhibition up at Urbis.
I hadn't heard of Andrew before nor came across any of his work but now I'm glad I decided to go see the exhibition.
From the photo's on display i got the impression that Andrew didn't like taking the obvious photograph. He tended to go out explore places and take pictures of places that people wouldn't normally imagine of shooting. For example there was images of sewers, courtyards and then city skylines - but not from the so obvious places.
When i was looking at the photo's the images reminded me of pin hole cameras - I doubt he used to a pin hole camera to shoot the shot but just the way the image is formed reminded me of such things.




When I got home from the exhibition I decided to research further into Andrew because of how much I liked his work. This is where I found more information about Andrew as a Photographer. Andrew is a 'conceptual digital artist and film maker - based in Manchester.'
On his website Andrew says;

"The crucial element to my work is atmosphere. . . No matter how much digital application is going on, the atmosphere and feel of a picture is always the most important thing."

Further reading into him on his website it say's how he comes up with such stunning and abstract imagery. This is down to how he captures hundreds of images to create a complete piece of work. Then, a meticulously developed sequence of cut, paste and rebuilding, moulding a new scene from his own vividly re-imagined viewpoint that is consistent, yet also a parallel with that of the perceived reality it represents. Andrew finishes off by saying; 

"The large scale of my stills photography enables a viewer to enter and explore each scene in depth and to constantly find new elements and hidden layers with the jigsaw."

No comments: