Thursday 9 July 2009

Gary Clarke - Blogs - Good or Bad

Continuing to get opinions about blogs from people in the industry I emailed Gary Clarke with the set question's and thankfully he replied with his opinions.

Questions and Answers;

1. Would you recommend that students produce a blog? If so why?

Well, a Blog is no more than a website that you can update without any knowledge of HTML. The only difference is that feedback can be left on a blog. I would recommend that students have online portfolios of some sort, whether that be in the shape of a blog or website. I'm personally not that interested in how people reach ideas, but others might be.

I have me own blog at - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilikegraphics - Flickr is good in that it's easier to be found, than a blog that is sat alone somewhere and relied on Google to drive traffic to you. If I was a student I would actively have a Flickr page and upload every idea I have.

I love visiting Fffound.com and Boooom.com, and many of the other 'collective' design blogs (as opposed to 'designers own blogs').

2. A lot of students aren't safe with putting there design's up on blogs due to the idea getting stolen. What would your opinion be on this?

I've never come across this as a problem. The only work that should be of concern to you is the work you are doing at the moment, so what if someone steals an idea? It meant it was a good idea. I'm not arsed if anyone steals my ideas, I've got plenty of others.

3. People see blogs as a way to publicize themselves and there work, but a lot of blogs don't get a lot of hits, so what should the purpose of a blog be?

Placing your work in the public arena should help you learn to be a better designer. If no one was interested in your last posting, then make it better. Take on board any criticism. Learn from other designers.

4. Finally, what's one positive and one negative about having a blog?

Positive is the comments and feedback
Negative is the work involved.

No comments: