Thursday 18 June 2009

Portfolio Viewing

Recently I went and shown Tanya from Brand Four my portfolio.

This meant travelling down to Lincoln which was good because it got me out of Manchester.
On the way there was a few hiccups, public transport never runs smoothly.

Eventually when I got there I was sent upstairs where Tanya introduced herself.
We started generally talking how I was etc, saying how there moving in to there new office in September etc, which was really warming.

After this we started talking about work, how she's currently working with Coca-Cola and then shown me bits and pieces of other work she's been creating for other clients.

After a thorough talk about this we then moved on to my portfolio. I shown Tanya my work, explained a bit about each piece etc. Certain pieces which Tanya liked was the typographic based work, i.e Brass Band Poster and Manchester Literature Festival. Tanya also liked the idea of the paper exhibition and how that would be advertised. This is when we spoke how it's hard to show an idea as if it's real. For example in the portfolio the Paper Exhibition idea is to have the billboard's cut up and then rebuilt in different way's e.g origami and paper aeroplane.

When Tanya saw the Brass Band poster and the Manchester Literature Festival poster, I got a real positive feed back. The idea of how the Brass Band poster being interactive as well as being a poster is something she really liked. With the Manchester Literature poster Tanya really liked how I have used white space . During talking about this piece of work we got onto the topic of typography, saying how it's good not to use the basic Helvetica and how it's good to get used to certain fonts learn how they work and know how big the family is. One thing what is really good is when designer's don't know what typeface you have used on a piece of work and it makes them think for a bit.

After I shown Tanya my portfolio she gave me some positive feed back. She said that I have really high standard of work and she mentioned how I was better than 20 other designers who have applied for work with the company.

When I got home the next day I e-mailed Tanya again saying thank you for taking time out to see me and enquiring about placements. Unfortunately due to lack of space they don't do placement's at the moment, but Tanya asked me was it Ok to keep my details on file and also to keep in touch as she would like to see my end of year portfolio.

No comments: