Friday 4 September 2009

Dave Sedgwick - Blogs - Good or Bad?

Continuing with the debate about blogs, I recently got in touch with Dave Sedgwick. Dave has his own website what is set for his work to be shown off.

Dave has produced some outstanding work in his career, these can be viewed on his website, also his portfolio I found was an inspiration, to show how to constantly design something which is smart, shows the work off an is appealing.

Questions and Answers;

1. Would you recommend that students produce a blog? If so why?

Hmm, to blog or not to blog? Well I'd recommend that students produce blogs that have the possibility to be a bit 'different'. It's easy for people to set one up these days, so the outcome is a multitude of fairly non descript and horrendous ones. If you genuinely think you'll find the time to constantly update with new and interesting topics and work, then go for it. But if you know deep down that there's absolutely no chance you're dragging yourself away from the Playstation or Student Union to update, leave it well alone. It's not worth it. Do a portfolio site instead and simple showcase your own work.

2. A lot of students aren't safe with putting there design's up on blogs due to the idea getting stolen. What would your opinion be on this?

Tough one. I can see why some students might think that, but I don't think it would be much of a concern for me. Work is always getting 'stolen' or plagiarized in this industy. It's part of the course I'm afraid. Most designers, whether individuals or agencies showcase their work online and by doing this they're offereing themselves for criticism as well as anything else.


3. People see blogs as a way to publicize themselves and there work, but a lot of blogs don't get a lot of hits, so what would the purpose of a blog be?

To me a blog needs to be updated regularly, with interesting and informative topics. I want to see something new, something I can't find anywhere else. I want to read short and interesting snippets of information, well written, without loads of bad spelling mistakes or terrible grammar. If I wanted some inane drivel, I'd read The Sun.

4. Finally, what's one positive and one negative about having a blog?

Positive - Blogs offer a chance for students and graduates to showcase their own work as well as presenting their personality and opinions to the outside world.

No comments: