Monday 7 September 2009

Gareth Dunt - Blogs - Good or Bad?

Another student I emailed regarding blogs was Gareth, and yes Gareth went to the University of Wales also.

Questions and Answers;

1. When participating in a group/individual blog, how do you find it? Do you enjoy it and why?

Regarding individual blogs, I have found is massively rewarding as it acts as a sort of reflective journal for me as a designer. There's been many times that I've stumbled across a gem of a website, written in the URL down on the back of a book, only to loose it in the vastness of a mess at my desk. The memory rolls out of my brain and is lost forever and a potential love affaire with that website is stopped even before it has begun. Keeping a blog is the quickest, easiest and by far the most logical way of keeping track of finds on the internet.

2. I've found that a lot of student's aren't safe with putting there design work up on blogs due to the idea getting stolen. How do you find this? Are you happy to put your work up?

Yes I've no problem in putting my work up on my blog. There's been many cases when I've posted progress reports concerning my projects to act as a personal account of how things are going. Thing is, the work ultimately gets put up on my main website garethdunt.com and if they really want to steal material then it's there for the taking. I've no problem with it really, I feel idea recycling is a major factor in how we develop.

3. Are you pressured into doing a blog, or do you just want to do it to get yourself noticed and more involved with topics?

Originally the pressure came from my course. We were instructed to keep personal design journals which could be in either physical book or blog format. I tried keeping a book but I found it laborious, far too precious, and most importantly selfish. I didn't like the fact that all the interesting finds, thoughts and philosophies I'd collected over a limited of time were limited to a book that only myself and a few lecturers would read. I wanted to share my findings with fellow students and anyone else that wants to listen. With regard to keeping a blog to get involved with debates, I guess that is also a factor. What's great about this media is that it can bring people from anywhere in the world into the same discussion. Something you can't get with a moleskin sketchbook.

4. What do you find positive and negative about having a blog?

The main positives I have found with blogging is the ability to share you're content with other people in a way that is more subtle than public broadcast. Blogs are quiet, controlled things that people can visit when they wish to. Not loud, brash, invasive websites that preach. Having said that, I guess some are. Also the ability to file and organise content with labels and catagories - my reflective notes are at hand almost anywhere in the world, without need for numerous dog-eared notebooks. Within 10secs of searching I've found that entry I made on that awesome typographer from Brazil who's letter E I really like on the 23rd April 2006. Try doing that with a moleskin!

As for negatives, I can't really think of any... there's plenty of databases of good blogs out there such as thestrangeattractor.net and typeneu.com that keep me ticking as a designer. I don't really have anything negative to say about them!

Blogs = Good

No comments: